Who would have picked this? A new social network which has been downloaded more than Twitter and Facebook and you haven’t even heard of it!
Just to set the facts right, Pheed sits at number 1 on the App Store as the most downloaded free app under the social networking category… oh and by the way, it has been for over a week now.
What is Pheed?
Pheed is a new social media platform which allows its users to share basically any form of digital content such as audio, photos, video, live broadcasts and text. A user has the option of sharing their content for free or at a cost, and this can be a monthly subscription or even a pay-per-view event (for example, boxing). In either case, the user has flexibility in choosing their pricing structure and can earn income directly.
Key Points On Pheed
- Pheed allows you to post video and audio content for up to 4 hours in length and there are no size restrictions with the photos you upload.
- Anything you post on Pheed makes you the owner of the content. See statement below from Pheed’s terms of service agreement:
”PHEED USERS OWN THEIR CONTENT. WE DO NOT OWN OR APPLY ANY CLAIM TO YOUR CONTENT. WE DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SELL OR TRADE YOUR CONTENT. WHAT USERS UPLOAD TO PHEED IS THEIR OWNERSHIP AND THEY HAVE FULL RIGHTS TO IT. YOU ARE THE SOLE OWNER AND CURATOR OF YOUR MATERIALS. WE WILL NOT SELL, LICENSE, DISTRIBUTE, COPY, MODIFY, DISPLAY, TRANSMIT, PUBLISH, EDIT, ADAPT, CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS FROM, OR OTHERWISE MAKE UNAUTHORIZED USE OF YOUR MATERIALS.”
- Users have full control over their content and can charge their followers from $1.99 up to $34.99 a month just to view their feed. Pheed will naturally take a portion of these profits and the network allows users to watermark their content to mitigate plagiarism or theft. While some celebrities like Paris Hilton and Leona Lewis have already jumped on Pheed, I find it hard to see people paying for a celebrities feed given you can access it for free over Twitter or Facebook.
- Currently only available on the iPhone but an Android version is not far away
- Like Twitter and Tumblr, Pheed allows you to like, dislike and bookmark content which other users put up. It is different from Twitter as Pheed allows you to directly comment on basically anything and everything any user posts while having the ability to add as many hashtags as you like (might get a little messy)
Pheed creators put together what they felt were the best features from the top social platforms out on the market – Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Instagram, etc – and integrated it into one place. For now, it has created a heck of a buzz of late and perhaps this might have been due to the break they took in December 2012 (where no new users were being accepted) to test and improve a number of key features. In any case, Pheed has been on top of the App Store free downloads for over 9 days and somehow I think this momentum is set to carry on.
Have you tried Pheed? As an online business, do you think there is an opportunity to market your services or products directly via this platform given you can charge a fee?
Let us know, we would love to hear your feedback.